Sunday, September 14, 2008

love + marriage... oh and torture

As the political season is well underway, we've been watching the different conventions and speeches of the parties. After hearing a mention of John McCain's prison experience, I asked my husband Jeff what exactly happened. Jeff gave me a short explanation saying that, as a POW in North Vietnam, McCain was imprisoned and tortured for five and a half years.

"Wow!" I said. "Can you believe that? Five and a half years? That is such a long time. That's as long as we've been married. To be tortured for that long? Jeff, can you even imagine being tortured every day for as long... as we've... been marr...ied..."

I quickly realized what I was asking, at the same time noticing Jeff had a rather awkward and uncomfortable look on his face. I didn't have him give an answer to my question. And as a good husband, he didn't volunteer one.

4 comments:

Ben and Iris said...

Tell Jeff to hang in there, you were home a lot longer than 5 1/2 years. oops, should have kept my mouth shut.
Jeff, every minute was wonderful, marvelous, exciting, fun and she was no trouble at all and it was no torture at all even while she was singing "Annie" at the top of her lungs. (I have to stop now, my nose is growing) Love MOM

Anonymous said...

As if being married to you would be torture>? 5 years of pure wedded bliss is more like it. Right?

Becca said...

LOL!! Oh, Rach - I miss you. I have been in a huge blogging slump lately and haven't commented on ANYONE'S blog for months. Way, to go - You inspired me enough to take the time to comment. And yes, 5 1/2 years is a loooong time.

Fam in Real Life said...

LOL. That is sooo funny! I can picture Jeff's face as you tell the story. Dustin and I have been married 11 years.. Now that is LOOONG! :)
Jeff is lucky to have you!. I'm sure he agrees.
Lori Sutton