Sunday, June 29, 2008

I am woman, hear me roar!


I did it! I biked 40 miles at the MS 150! And I must say, I did pretty well. I wasn't at the front of the pack or anything like that, but considering that prior to training for this ride I had only been on a bike maybe three times in the last ten years... I think I did rather well and finished in pretty decent time. My goal going into it was not to end up in the SAG'n Wagon, which picks up anyone who has crashed or can't go any further- and I totally didn't need them and really did rather well on top of that! If it sounds like I'm ring'n my bell, I am, because I did it, and it was an awesome feeling coming across that finish line. Apparently I started sweating like sponge at pedal one because I ended up with a steady stream of sunblock in my eyes, leaving my eyes stinging and crying for the first 5 miles. Thankfully there was a line of bikers in front of me with neon jerseys so I could just follow the brightly colored blurs. One of my coworkers, Mark, rode with me just about the entire time which really helped; it was like having my own personal cheering squad going up the hills and it helped the time pass quickly to pedal and chat. Yes, believe it or not, I can bike and talk at the same time. Just don't ask me to chew gum too. Anyhow, it was a fabulous ride and I live to tell the tale. My body is tired and a bit achy, but I haven't been too sore at all. The scenery was beautiful, the weather was reasonable, and now I can brag that I've been to Newton, Utah. You're jealous I know.
This is my coworker Tracy and her hilarious son Wolfie. They made the trek up just to cheer for us at the finish line! It was awesome! There were tons of people at the finish line cheering and yelling, telling us we did a great job and thanking us for riding. It almost made me emotional to have all this going on, realize what I had just done, and the cause that all of this was going to help.

This is sweaty, disgusting, but very satisfied me and my friend Camille at the end of the race. The additional cheesy look in our grins is probably part delirium and part anticipation that now we get to end our droughts from Dr. Pepper (for me) and Diet Coke (for her).

A big THANK YOU to everyone who supported me. Next year I'll be hitting you all up to come ride with me!

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

I am so proud of you Rach! You make all the rest of us look like a bunch of lazy butts. I doubt I will ever do a bike ride but maybe I will be able to do a walk or jog a thon. I would love to train with someone if you are up willing to stoop down to my level. ;)

Ben and Iris said...

Way to go Rach. Proud of you. with you and Jeff on your bikes, and Amber running in marathons it really makes the rest of us look lame. I would plan to ride with you next year but oops, I won't be here. Too bad. I am sure I will get some Biking in while in Holland. Love You MOM

Anonymous said...

Amazing! You are amazing! And wonderful! And oh so cute, too!