Monday, August 4, 2008

The Dutchies are Leaving on a Jet Plane


Well they’re officially off this morning, on their way to their mission in Antwerp, Belgium. These past few months, and especially last few weeks, have been an incredible experience helping send off my parents with a going away party, their speaking in church and being set apart. It’s been so impressive to watch their lives and years of experiences come together with such a perfect culmination in this mission. No, it’s not that they’re dying or anything but it’s good grand-finale, if you will, for their send off. Not only were all of their kids and grandkids gathered together, but many many of their friends from years back showing their support and love for my parents. While it sounds bad, I’m so excited to send them off. This is the perfect place for them to be and it wouldn’t be right for them to be anywhere else. I watched my dad give a fabulous talk in front of a chapel full of people- and he doesn’t talk to people. My mom is taking a leap into a country and language she doesn’t know- and she’s doesn’t do the unknown. Plus she’s actually excited to do it. My dad has spent years of studying to perfectly prepare him and my mom has mothered and cared for people for years preparing her. And I must say that now I feel like the proud parent, so amazed by their accomplishments thus far, sending them off to a crazy big rude European world, scared for them but so happy too. Too bad I couldn’t pack them a lunch, with a note written on their napkin, walk them to the bus stop, and send them off with a big lipstick kiss on the cheek… but I suppose I’d have to wear lipstick first and that isn’t going to happen now is it?

No comments: