Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Did I say Nazi?

At church, groups take turns doing a Sunday Sacrament Service for the rest home in our neighborhood. It had come to the time where my young women were to do the program; prayers, speakers, musical number. My young women do not enjoy doing these things to begin with and it was made worse by the fact that it involved “old people.” They are freaked out by old people; healthy, sick, small, boisterous, jolly… it doesn’t matter. If the people are over the age of about 75-80, my girls can’t stand them. Knowing they would be less than thrilled, the conversation went something like this:

R: “Okay girls, we’re in charge of the Sunday Sacrament Meeting for the rest home. We need VOLUNTEERS to help”

YW: whine, complain, “we did that last year”, moan, moan, moan, “old people,” whine, “gross,” grumble, grumble, “I spoke in church at Christmas”, blah, blah, blah, “not it”…

R: “We can do this one of three ways. You can sweetly volunteer to do what you want to do. You can take the chance and draw a card from my hand that will say what you will do. Or I can go all Nazi on you and dictate what each of you will do.”

I suddenly realize I am sitting next to our German foreign exchange student.

R: “Oh, um, what I meant is you that won’t have a choice and I’ll just tell you what to do.”

YW: “Yea, go Nazi on us! If we don’t do what you say will you put us in a gas chamber?”

The foreign exchange student’s face turns red and gives me a well-deserved scowl.

R: “I shouldn’t have said that… what I mean is…”

YW: “I like the Nazi way! Are you going to kill our families, starve us…”

Yes, this would be one of those times at church when varied and inappropriate curses run through your mind…

3 comments:

Ben and Iris said...

I understand the "slip of the tongue" thing. I keep telling everyone that my folks came from Holland by way of Jerusalem, by that I mean they really know how to "Jew" someone into a good deal. Now I should no longer say that. I'm sure the Dutch have the Jews beat hands down. Silly me! By the way, we really loved visiting Jerusalem a couple of years ago. I did get some great deals in the market place. See I'm Dutch. MOM

Unknown said...

Thanks for the good laugh - I had to read it to Jake as he understands how Germans feel about the Nazi era!

Anonymous said...

Was ist los? Dumkopf!

No, really, that is so funny! And we used to have to do the little sacrament program at the old person's care center, and it was NOT fun at all (getting the girls to "volunteer", I mean. We would all have to go, though.